2016: My Top Five Highlights

Sunday 1 January 2017


1. INTERNSHIP IN EXETER 

I started off this year nervous and still in the closet but while on this Internship I got to see what it was like to have an openly gay life, even if it only lasted two weeks. The Internship was run for further education students by Irish Education Partners and was training in entrepreneurship and business startup. 

I got a new perspective on the business world which was completely different to my Multimedia degree. While here, we may have just partied the most of the time but I came away from this experience with some of the best friends I have today.



2. NEW BEGINNINGS 

Next up was graduating from my PLC in Stillorgan. This course may have been short, but it brought me so many opportunities and gave me such a great insight into Multimedia.

Getting accepted to Maynooth University was always a dream of mine and when I came home from America it was now a reality. Starting University and moving to Maynooth was one hell of a rollercoaster but I slowly started to fall in love with it. 


3.  A SHORT AMERICAN DREAM

My summer started off so different to any other as I flew all the way to San Francisco and got to explore this massive city for a few days before heading to South Lake Tahoe. I owe this crazy experience all to Americamp.

I started working at Camp Concord, which is now no doubt my second home. When I was there I really fell in love with my job as a camp counselor and working, while also getting to experience new things every day. One of my favorite memories was road tripping around California. I got to visit Yosemite National Park, LA and so much more with amazing friends.


4. NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY

As I mentioned this year was completely different to any other and that is all because of these amazing new friends you see above. They gave me the most amazing support without even realizing it and for that, I am forever grateful that they accepted me for me.

This year I got to spend a lot of time adventuring with friends which is one of my favorite things to do. I also turned 20 and spent my birthday with friends who no doubt I would call my family.


5. COMING OUT 

Coming out to my friends and family was an emotional rollercoaster this year but it was all worth it in the end. After coming out to family and close friends, I decided it was finally time to try and tell everyone so I created this blog and wrote "Today Is My Day" while also touching on the important topic of mental health. I got some of the most unexpected and loving responses from everyone.

-

2016 was no doubt an extremely amazing year for me. Despite the above achievements and highlights, it was a year of realization and new beginnings. We also lost so may people this year all over the world and had so many tragedies, with that I would to just like to take a moment to remember all those we've lost and hope 2017 will be a year of peace and support for everyone.

Here's to a new year. 

Thanks for reading,

Mark x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© Adventures with Merkus. Design by Fearne.