Starting University

Monday 27 February 2017

 

This blogpost is an overview of my time at University so far, with some of its ups and downs. As many of you may know I did a course at a further education college before coming to Maynooth, you'd think I'd have the whole University experience under my belt.

So I'm writing right now as I go. It's my first week at Uni, I'm still nervous and trying to find my way around, wondering if I'm in the right place at the right time. I called my dad and friends and talked to them about if I'm really making the right choice by taking this course, I'm not sure if it because I'm doing three courses in one or if its the fact that I just feel out of place in this massive University where all of my classes have different people in them.

Everyday I try my best to make new friends but its so hard, everyone here seems to know each other already. I haven't been to any of the freshers night outs because I know no one and I know I'd feel so out of place. I try to make it a goal to talk to two new people everyday, it's hard getting to know new people with 60+ people in my class and they already seem to be in friend groups.

Its the start of my third week of Semester 1 now and I want to drop out. I went to the Program Advisory Office to try and talk with them to get advice, they couldn't see me because they were busy. I think having done a PLC last year is a big pat of why I'm wanting to drop out, I had 8 people in my class then, while now I could be in a lecture with 200+ students. I wake up and go to sleep everyday thinking am I studying the right course? and Am I even at the right Uni?

I just go straight home, throw my bed covers over me and just don't want to leave. I couldn't even go to Hockey and Swim practice today because I was feeling so depressed and emotional, even though I knew it would of taken my mind off of everything.

My friends have to be my biggest supporters, I explained to them that I was having a really bad day and here's all the things they had to say:

"You didn't get in because you were lucky you got in because you worked so hard for it!"

"I know but hey your smart 😉 I know you can do it, I believe in you ❤️"

"I just wanna remind you that your great at anything you choose to do"

Continuing on from my third week, everyday  just seems to be repeating. I finally got to talk to someone at the Program Advisory Office and they basically ran me through my options and what I can do right now and when I'd be restricted and cant do no more.

I then called my friends again and talked it out with them. I decided to change my subject choice. I also rang my dad and he said to contact and meet with as many people as I can that will be able to help me. I went to several meetings with different departments across the University the next day and I have started my process of changing my subject choice.

 

I'm now just going into week 6 of Semester 2 and my whole university experience has changed within a matter of weeks. I'm in my third week of Semester 2, I took my chances with the IESN Society which stands for International Erasmus Student Network. They help exchange students settle into Maynooth University and run events and meet ups every week. 

Since joining the society three weeks ago, I've became the first year representative, got to lead a trip to Kerry with all the students and made so so many new friends from all around the world. Everyone in the committee are the most amazing bunch of people I've met at Uni, we are already like a little family. University is finally starting to feel right, I have so much to look forward to in the next few months. Our ball is coming up at the end of March and I'll be heading to Berlin to learn a lot more about the Society in April.

There's a lot more about Semester 2 that's looking better already, I'll for sure be updating you guys soon!

Mark x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© Adventures with Merkus. Design by Fearne.